Updated January 21, 2020
Three Important Ways to Slow the Spread
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others and stop the spread of COVID-19.
- Stay at least 6 feet (about 2 arm lengths) from others who don’t live with you.
- Avoid crowds. The more people you are in contact with, the more likely you are to be exposed to COVID-19.
Update: Jan 25 2021 5:16PM
How to Protect Yourself When Going Out
- Wear a mask that covers your nose and mouth to help protect yourself and others.
- Stay 6 feet apart from others who don’t live with you.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid poorly ventilated indoor spaces.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. Use hand sanitizer if soap and water aren’t available.
If You are at Risk of Getting Very Sick
- People of any age can get COVID-19, even healthy young adults and children.
- People who are older or have certain underlying medical conditions are at higher risk of getting very sick from COVID-19.
- Other groups may be at higher risk for getting COVID-19 or having more severe illness.
What to Do If You’re Sick
- Stay home except to get medical care.
- Isolate yourself from other members of your family to prevent spread to them and the people that they may have contact with, like grandparents.
- Even if you don’t feel sick, you can spread COVID-19 to others.
- Get care immediately if you are having emergency warning signs, like trouble breathing, pain or pressure in chest.
How to Get a Test for Current Infection
- You can visit your state or local health department’s website to look for the latest local information on testing.
- If you have symptoms of COVID-19 and want to get tested, call your healthcare provider first.
- If you have symptoms of COVID-19 and choose to not get tested, it is important to stay home. Find out what to do if you are sick.
How to Cope with Stress
- Care for yourself one small way each day.
- Unwind by doing yoga, listening to music, or gardening.
- Find new ways to connect with family and friends, get support, and share feelings.
- Eat healthy foods and get enough rest
- Relax by reading, listening to music, or starting a new hobby.
What Symptoms to Watch For
The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are
- Muscle or body aches
- Loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
Other symptoms are signs of serious illness. If someone has trouble breathing, chest pain or pressure, or difficulty staying awake, get medical care immediately.